Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 18: Book Club 2

As you know, hubs bought us a Kindle for the first anniversary.  The paper anniversary - get it?  Yes, I'm clever like that ;) Anywho, I've been reading since the moment we got it home.  I love love LOVE it.  I have a lot of down-time at work and it is the perfect thing to keep me from spending my day reloading facebook and twitter on my iphone every ten seconds, thinking something exciting is going to happen.  So now, I read.  All day long.  I love it.  Even now, as I'm sitting her blogging and hubs is reading "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft, all I can think about is, when am I getting the Kindle back so I can keep reading.  I have already read an entire book (yes, since Friday) and am into chapter seven of the book I'm currently reading.  What have I read you ask?

I read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett over the weekend.
 I had actually borrowed the hard copy from a friend on Wednesday and then ended up with it on the Kindle Friday.  I finished it last night.  I very much enjoyed it.  It took me a few chapters to really get into it but by the time I was into the middle of the book, I could barely put it down.  The story picks up and gets much more interesting and exciting once the groundwork has been laid in the first couple chapters.  I was glad after I'd finished the story that I continued to read the author's notes at the end of the book.  She explains how it is a complete work of fiction although very loosely based on what she remembers from her childhood on the subject.  I know there is a lot of contraversy surrounding the recent film adaptation of the book concerning its historical legitimacy so I was glad to read these works coming from the author's own mouth.  I would definitely recommend the book.  It has great character development and an interesting plot line.  I can see why they made it into a movie.  I would like to see the film but from what I've hear they've changed it some from the book which is unfortunate. 

I am currently reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
This is acatully the first book in a trilogy of the same title.  I had been hearing about the series here and there and it peaked my interest.  A lot of people were recommending it so I decided I'd see what it was all about.  As I said, I'm only on chapter seven but so far I like it a lot.  It is not at all what I expected (although I'm not sure what I expected since I did zero research on it.  I didn't even know what genre it was) but so far its interesting.  The beginning is written in a way that the author just sort of throws you into the story so it takes a couple chapters to get your bearings and start to understand what it going on.  (Example: I didn't put it together that the protagonist was female until halfway though the first chapter.)  It also seems to be set in a future version of North America although its not really clear as to when exactly.  But its vagueness give it intrigue and intensify's your desire to understand what is going on in the story and therefore you continue reading.  So far its well written and defininetly holding my interest.  I'll keep you updated as I get through this book and the subsquent volumes of the series.

There you have it.  Apparently this is another series that I'll be doing as part of Keep Moving Forward.  I hope you've enjoyed it.  I'd love to hear some of your book recommendations too!  Check out my thoughts on some of my favorite books here.

Thanks for reading.

BC18-8/16

No comments:

Post a Comment