Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 23: BDE IV

Best Day Ever! Snip Bits from our Wedding Day: We're Married!
When I left you last, I was basking in the joy of the first moments of my marriage.  I was so thrilled as we walked back through the church hand in hand to the beautiful chorus of Mendelssohn's Wedding March.  We mingled in the foyer for a few minutes getting hugs and congratulations for our immediate families as everyone got into place for what turned out to be one of my favorites parts of the day: the receiving line.
It was so nice to be able to greet and thank each one of our guests as they recessed out of the church.  Since we live out of state, this was the first time we'd seen many of our family and friends in two years.  We were also fortunate enough to meet some of each others' extended family which we hadn't been able to in the past. 
All the hugs, congratulations and compliments on my dress were so joyful and genuine; it made me feel so blessed that each one of these people had come to share in our special day.  My bridesmaids also did me the honor of forming their own little receiving line on the church porch and greeting all of our guests.
Once we had seen everyone, we excitedly signed our marriage certificate, finally making it official on paper.  I wanted to have some photos at the church so our families and bridal party happily obliged.  Many of our guests were still mingling on the church lawn awaiting our exit.  They were prepared with bubbles and cheers for us as we made our way down the stairs.
I felt like I was on display as we waiting for a go ahead to leave the church.  Since no one had really thought about how this segue would go, we just sort of stood around in front of our guests waiting for someone to tell us to leave.  Looking back it seems sort of silly since it was my wedding and I didn't have any sort of planner or day of coordinator, but I was still waiting for someone to tell me what to do.  I guess this was really my first decision as a married woman.  As funny as it sounds.  The thing was, after waiting a few minutes for someone to send everyone off to the reception, I realized, the person they were waiting for was me.  I remember looking around for my mom, thinking that she should be the one telling me what to do.  But I was married now, so I guess in terms of this moment, it was my turn to call the shots.  Either way, after lots of giggles and a little embarrassment, our photographer got some photos of us getting into the limo. Then we were off watching the church and few stragglers waving goodbye disspear into the distance.
Finally, a moment alone.  We were able to hug and kiss and revel in our moment.  Our first moments alone as man and wife.  We breathed a sigh of relief as the nerve racking part of the day was over.  We popped our champagne and chatted about the day as we made our way to the reception.  We both conceded that we were so excited and happy about how wonderful the ceremony was but we both agreed that the day was going by so quickly.  Before we knew it (as it was only 15 minutes away) we were at the reception hall and ready to get our party started!

Stay tuned for the next installment of Best Day Ever!

Thanks for reading.

BC23-8/21

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that picture of you and Memere in the receiving line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bride! I can see why it is the best day ever!!!

    ReplyDelete