Saturday, August 27, 2011

Gone but not Forgotten

Hello Friends!

Don't worry I haven't left you.  Just because the challenge is over does not mean I won't be keeping this updated, I promise.  I have just had a lot on my mind this past week or so.  Such as...

1. Graduate School
I am taking two classes this semester and they started last week.  So far so good.  The pace is slow to start but as I've looked forward on the course calenders, I see that it won't be that way for long and I'll soon be very busy with school work.  Keeping up with online classes has also proved different for me.  Its not that I'm not doing the work.  Its just harder for me to keep track of all the deadlines and assignments.  I guess the whole going to class thing I did as an undergrad kept it all more fresh in my mind.  Also that fact that my main focus was school at the time probably contributed to this as well.  I'm working out the kinks and figuring out how to keep all the pieces (full time work, husband, school, home & social life) of my life in order.  I also recently found out that apparently at this particular university, classes become open much earlier than at the college(s) I went to for undergrad.  Unbeknownst to me, Spring 2012 classes have been open for registration for God knows how long and all the ones I need for next semester are now closed.  Arg!  But the chair of the department is working on getting more sections added.  I'm really praying she does so that I don't get behind.  Additionally, I'm still figuring out how the financial aid system works at this particular school.  I currently have a bill for the semester however I am supposed to have enough financial aid to cover it.  I just can't remember how this worked when I was at Southern but I really hope they realize I have the financial aid because I can't pay out of pocket for my classes.

2. Work Winter Bid
Twice a year, in my department, we "bid" for a particular work schedule.  About two weeks before we actually make these choices, "bid lines" are released to us.  These are all the weekly schedule's we can choose from.  People choose based on days off, hours and location.  This past bid, I was fortunate enough to get my first choice.  However that definitely won't be happening this upcoming bid as there are fewer options in the winter.  We "bid" in order of seniority, and yours truly is at the bottom of that list.  So I've also been stressing about that.  The upcoming bid is 8 months and takes us through the holiday season so its definitely an important choice.  Also, hubs' work location is being vague about whether he is going to be switching shifts or days off in the near future, so I don't even know what days off to choose.  I really don't want to choose the ones he has now just to have them switch him next month.  Ugh.  I'll be glad when its over. (About 10am on Friday, in case you were wondering)

3. Home/Social Life
For the past year this has been a struggle for me.  I really have trouble balancing taking care of my home/being domestic, taking care of myself and hubs and spending time with friends.  It has taken me about 3 years to really make friends here in Orlando.  I had gotten used to spending essentially all my free time with the husband and now throwing a few friends in the mix is a change.  Don't get me wrong, I am SO happy to finally have made friends with some amazing people here. And part of me knows that, if I'd like to maintain these friendships, I do need to go out and be social.  But at the same time, since I know that hubs may be switching back to 3rd shift, I want to take advantage of the fact that he's awake during the day right now.  Moreover, he is starting school this week so we will not see each other at all two days a week from now until May.  Its all part of my constant struggle with balance.

Don't take this as excuses or complaining.  This is just what has been going on in my life since the challenge ended.  I'll be doing some more fun posts soon.  I'm looking forward to finishing the Best Day Ever! Series and beginning the Newlywed series.

PS. Check out and follow my husband's blog: New World 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment