Friday, August 19, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 21: Origins

Today we were strolling through Barnes & Noble looking for ideas for books to get for the Kindle when I came across "Brave New World" and others by Aldous Huxley.  This got me thinking about the origin of my first name.  I looked around the shelves for her but it seems Barnes & Noble doesn't carry her books; or at least not in that section of the store.  The her I speak of is Elspeth Huxley.  She is also an author and is related by marriage to Aldous Huxley.  Yes, I do realize that my name is not Elspeth.  (Its also NOT Elizabeth either!)  However this is where my parents heard the name. 

So here's the story of how I became Elsbeth (pieced together from stories of my birth from my mom).  I was born just after midnight on the first of November. One of the delivery nurses asked my mom for my first name.  She responded "Elspeth."  Needless to say the nurse did not react well to that name so my mom opted to changed the "p" to a "b" because that's more normal. (haha just kidding mom!)  And there you have it. 

Although my name tends to give me difficulty when introducing myself to new people, I don't think it being Elspeth would have made a difference.  I'm very glad my mom wasn't so taken aback by that nurses response that she changed it to Elizabeth.  No thank you.  I like having a unique name.  Its a good conversation starter if nothing else.  And I'm glad she didn't stick to her guns with Elspeth either.  Not only doesn't it sound completely different then Elsbeth but it also has that "p" with its stem going down below the rest of the letters.  To me, with my OCD tendencies, it would drive me crazy to see that one letter stem just chilling down there in the middle of my name.  I like the way Elsbeth looks much better.

I would love to know the origin's of your names.  Anyone else have a story about how they were named?

Thanks for reading.

BC21-8/19 

1 comment:

  1. Originally, my mom wanted to name me Kelly to go along with my sister Erin. (She was on an Irish kick...) But Erin preferred Sarah and...viola! :) That's a cool story about your name. I always wondered where it came from!

    ReplyDelete