Friday, August 5, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 6: Sleep

Ahhh...I missed a day! Lameeee. Sorry everyone, this is "yesterday's" post to make up for it. I'll get caught back up I promise.

So on to the reason why I didn't post yesterday. Sleep. I had a long day yesterday doing stuff around the house, spending some time with friends and working. By the time I got home I was so exausted that I could barely keep my eyes open long enough to put pj's on and brush my teeth. Pretty much anyone who knows me relatively well knows that I love to sleep. I sleep somewhere between 8-12 hours a night and often nap during my lunch break during the day. It is definitely one of my favorite activities and that is not something of which I am ashamed. Over time I have discovered the importance of "rest" for your body, mind and soul.

When I was in college, I honestly didn't have enough time to truly "rest." As most college students do, I got involved in so many things and with that on top of my school work, my mantra was often, "I'll sleep when I'm dead." Since I was younger and able to function on fewer of those precious "z's," it wasn't too much of a problem and is not something I regret. Now that I'm a little bit older and little less busy, I've definitely gained a new appreciation for rest. Mind you, I don't mean sloth, I mean legitimate rest. It is so important for your body to recover from whatever you may have done during the day. For me, my job is physically strenuous so my body needs that extra recovery time. I have learned to listen to my body in this sense. Now I am able to stop and let it rest without guilt.

It is also equally important to let your mind rest as well. I am someone who's mind is almost constantly "going." I'm always thinking about something, worrying about something or trying to plan something. Honestly, this can sometimes be more exhausting than physical labor. Very recently, I've really started noticing how important it is to rest my mind. When my mind is tired, I get cranky and anxious which is the opposite of what my mind needs at the time. This is something I'm still working on however because often when I try to rest, I find my mind wondering because I am not distracting it with other things.

Resting my soul is something I am just starting to understand. I have always been a person who prays but other ways that people can meditate on the Bible or just "wait on or rest in the Lord" is something I have not yet learned to do. This is something I hope to work on and hope that it will help me be able to "rest" physically and mentally as well. Last night, I knew that I needed to rest and the honestly my blog post would probably have suffered due to my exhaustion. That is why I decided that is was important to put this off until today.

Make sure you take the time out of each day of your life (when you can) to rest your body, mind and soul.

Thanks for reading.

BC6-8/4

No comments:

Post a Comment